Three soldiers killed and 2 injured in Jijel
ALGIERS - Three soldiers were killed and two others wounded by gunmen in the region of Jijel, a coastal city located 360 km east of Algiers, the Algerian press reported Monday.
- The first soldier was killed by a shot gun and his body trapped in the resort of Sidi Abdelaziz, twenty miles from Jijel, according to Algerian press.
- The gunmen waited until his comrades arrived to make him explode. Two soldiers died and two others were seriously injured, said El Khabar quoting security forces.
- Security forces have launched a combing operation to trace the attackers, according to the Le Soir daily.
- Jijel and further west, the region of Kabylia, remain the scene of numerous attacks usually attributed to Islamist groups claiming to belong to Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb (AQIM). And this, despite the implementation in 2006 of a charter of national reconciliation offering pardon to Islamist militants in exchange for their surrender.
- Latest attack, on June 4, four policemen were killed in a bombing at a hundred kilometers east of Algiers, in Kabylia.
- In April and May, these regions were the scene of a series of attacks against security forces, which caused thirty dead.
- Ennaharonline/ M. O.