Egyptians incensed by the deaths of More than 74 people in Egyptian soccer
More than Seventy-four people were killed and at least 1,000 wounded Wednesday when Egyptian soccer fans invaded the pitch in the city of Port Said,after local team al-Masry beat Cairo-based Al Ahli,one of Egypt's most successful clubs,the deputy minister described the incident as the biggest disaster in the nation's soccer history.
- Hundreds of al-Masry supporters surged across the pitch to the visitors' end and panicked Ahli fans dashed for the exit.Ahli fans unfurled banners insulting Port Said and one descended to the pitch carrying an iron bar,.and fighting began just after the end of the match,which al-Masry won 3-1.
- Al-Masry fans reacted by pouring onto the pitch and attacking Ahli players then turning to the terraces to attack rival supporters,as well as ultra al Ahli fans who played a leading role in Egypt's revolution last year.
- Witnesses and health workers said,that many fans died in a subsequent stampede,most of them deaths were among people who were trampled in the crush of the panicking crowd or who fell from terraces.
- Live television coverage showed fans running onto the field and chasing Ahli players.A small group of riot police formed a corridor to try to protect the players,but they appeared overwhelmed and fans were still able to kick and punch the players as they fled.
- The head of Egypt's ruling military council Field,Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi,well-ordered to send two helicopters immediatly to Port Said to fly out some of the visiting Al Ahli soccer team and its fans. The helicopters would transfer the injured to military hospitals.
- “The events is a massacre that violated the words and teachings of Islam”, Egypt's top Muslim cleric said.One player described Wednesday's riot as a war, not football.
- Since political turmoil began sweeping the region of north Africa more than a year ago,Violence at football matches increased extensively.
- Angry politicians and sports officials blamed the nation's leaders for allowing or even causing the tragedy.Given to lack of security at the match between Port Said team al-Masry and Al Ahli.