Biometric System Reveals The Enormity of Civil Status Errors
Algiers- The Algerian courts are inundated every day by crowds of people who come in order to make corrections to their names, dates and places of birth.
- During a visit by Ennahar to some courts and civil status administrations, we found the extent of the difficulties encountered by citizens faced with this serious problem, who come to deliver paperwork, mainly after the new measures made for the delivery of biometric identity cards and passports that require documents without errors, such as the certificate of nationality. The latter is considered the biggest obstacle for the constitution of an administration folder.
- For this type of case, the birth certificates of the father and grandfather required from the candidates, most of which are facing difficulties due to errors and therefore can not benefit from the famous nationality certificate, neither their biometric identity cards of passports.
- These people see themselves obliged to resort to the courts to correct their names, first names or dates of birth.
- Manel, aged 20, comes from Tizi Ouzou to correct her name, misspelled in French (Manal).
- For Mr. Ansar, also faced with this problem, the fault lies with the administration that hires incompetent people who make mistakes and put people in embarrassing situations. Ansar sees himself confronted with a serious problem that has deprived him of his citizenship because of bad writing of his name (Atfal instead of Ansar).
- A note from the Ministry of Justice to expedite the procedure
- The Department of Justice sent a instruction to all courts across the country in order to strengthen the staff and streamline procedures for corrections and alleviate the suffering of the citizens concerned.
- The court of Sidi M'hamed in the capital, hired five judges specifically for this operation, and the same for the court of Bab El Oued which knows a rush of people, mostly students, involved in this kind of problem, especially with the new measures for the delivery of paperwork, biometric cards and passports.
- For their part, district security services are overwhelmed with people who come to conduct security investigations and correct errors that occurred on their names.
- Dozens of people are received each day and hundreds of corrections Minutes are made.
- Following the investigation, the file is transferred by the head of the district to the public prosecutor at the court of competent jurisdiction.
- Ennahar / Amel Lakel