Real Madrid - Barcelona: the most significant "clasicos"
MADRID - The matches between the two biggest Spanish clubs, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, called "clasicos" are still great games, but some were more significant than others.
- The two rivals will face each other four times in less than three weeks: Championship Saturday (32nd day), Wednesday in the final of the Copa del Rey and April 27 and May 3 in the semi-finals of the Champions League.
- The first "clasico":
- Real and Barca battle for the first time May 13, 1902, in the semi-finals of the Spanish Cup (which later became the King's Cup).
- Barca won 3-1.
- The first in the league:
- For the first season in La Liga, the Spanish Championship 1st Division as it exists today, in 1928-1929, the first duel between Real and Barca turned to the advantage of Madrid. On 17 February 1929, they won 2-1 in Les Corts Stadium in Barcelona. The Catalans take revenge in Madrid May 9, 1929, by wining 1-0 at Real Stadium Chamartin.
- The more humiliating:
- During the 1934-1935 season in La Liga, Real crushed (8-2) Barca in Madrid, February 3, 1935. But it is the Catalans who have signed the "cardboard" in the recent history of "clasicos" with a 6-2 in Santiago-Bernabeu stadium in Madrid May 2, 2009. Real had opened the scoring through Higuain (14th). But Henry (18th, 58th), Puyol (20th), Messi (36th, 75th) and Pique (83) made the difference. Ramos had temporarily reduced the score (56th).
- The most contentious:
- October 21, 2000, Portugal's Luis Figo, transferred during the summer from Barcelona to Real Madrid of Florentino Perez, is welcomed as a "traitor" by the Camp Nou. Hissed, booed, the first of the "Galacticos" will even be unable to take a corner, avoiding a shower of objects from the stands: plastic bottles, a bottle of whiskey and head of a pig! Despite calls for calm of defender Carles Puyol, the match will be interrupted for several minutes by the referee before continuing. The score is almost trivial: Barça a 2-0 win.
- The "quietest":
- On October 13, 1999, the legendary Real Madrid striker Raul Gonzalez Blanco waved at Camp Nou to be quiet after having equalized for his team in the final minutes (86th). Real bring back a point from Camp Nou (2-2) and the image of Raul, the index finger on his lips, became a symbol of pride in Madrid and one of the greatest provocations for Barça.
- Ennaharonline/ M. O.